Brief description: New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarships is a New Zealand Government-enabled scholarship open to all international students who meet the eligibility criteria.
Eligible Countries: International countries
To be taken at (country): New zealand. Recipients can undertake PhD study in any discipline at any of New Zealand eight Universities:
University of Auckland,
University of Canterbury,
University of Otago,
University of Waikato,
Victoria University of Wellington.
Eligible Field of Study: Applications are welcomed from eligible candidates undertaking relevant research in any discipline.
About the Award: The New Zealand International Doctoral Research Scholarship (NZIDRS) is a Government funded scholarship, administered by Education New Zealand. The scholarship aims to attract and retain the best international researchers to New Zealand. The scholarship provides full tuition fees and a living stipend for up to 3 years.
The NZIDRS is a prestigious, highly competitive scholarship. It is awarded based on academic excellence and the benefit of the candidate’s proposed research to New Zealand. Recipients of this award will have an academic record placing them within the top 5% of PhD candidates worldwide.
Type: PhD Research Scholarship
Eligibility: In order to apply for the NZIDRS, candidates must meet ALL five eligibility criteria.
These criteria are non-negotiable.
1. Candidate must hold a minimum grade equivalent to a GPA of 3.7 on a 4.0 scale OR an A to A+ average in your most recent or highest post graduate tertiary qualification
2. Candidate must have a confirmed, non-conditional offer of place for a (direct-start) PhD programme at a New Zealand university
3. If candidate has already commenced their PhD studies in New Zealand, their start date must be after 01 July 2015
4. Candidate must conduct their PhD study in New Zealand (not from a distance)
5. Candidate must not hold citizenship or PR status in New Zealand or Australia.
Selection Criteria: The NZIDRS are awarded based on academic excellence and the impact of the PhD research for New Zealand. Applications must propose research that has a clear, direct and tangible positive effect on:
- New Zealand’s economy, in terms of international trade and business development in key sectors, OR
- New Zealand’s population in terms of health and safety, OR
- Research and scholarship in either of the above two areas
Number of Awardees: Normally 8 awards are made
Value of Scholarship:
- New Zealand University annual tuition fees and associated student levies
- An annual living stipend of NZ$25,000 per year (tax free)
- Medical insurance coverage up to NZ$600 annually
Duration of Scholarship: The NZIDRS covers the following above for a TOTAL of three years (36 months):
How to Apply:
- Download and complete an NZIDRS Application Form (available on the Scholarship Webpage)
- Answer all questions by completing all fields and submit your form along with ALL required documents to Education New Zealand.
Application Deadline: 30th August, 2017 for Autumn 2017 admission session
Award Provider: Government of New zealand Ministry of Education.